Today 600 people will be diagnosed with leprosy, more than 50 of these will be children. Smile a Minute supports treatment
Posted On: 13/12/17
There are millions of children, women and men living with leprosy worldwide. Although completely curable, many people are unable to access treatment, even though the cure is free.
We work to find, treat and rehabilitate these hidden people.
- Leprosy is a bacterial disease which affects the skin and nerves
- The first sign of leprosy is usually a patch of discoloured skin
- If left untreated, leprosy causes loss of sensation, paralysis, ulcers and infections, which can lead to blindness and amputation
- 600 people are diagnosed each day and 50 of these are children
- We believe over 3 million people are living with undiagnosed leprosy
- Over 4 million people are living with a disability caused by leprosy
- Leprosy carries a terrible stigma; often people are shunned by communities, or even their own family when they show symptoms